How do I legalize or notarize my documents?
You may be requested to legalize any of the following documents as part of your visa process: degrees, police clearance checks and your TEFL certificate.
Legalisation is a further step to notarization and is a more expensive process, it also requires more time to organize.
Here are four steps to give you a good understanding of the general process of document authentication:
- Requesting your criminal background check (all of our internships and jobs request a criminal background check). In most cases you can order yours online:
- USA citizens – $18
- Canadian citizens – $25
- UK citizens – £25
- Ireland citizens – Free of charge
- Australian citizens – $42
- New Zealand citizens – Free of charge
- South African citizens – R114
*Prices correct March 2018
- Notarization of any document is as easy as bringing it to a local Notary Public or Solicitor, in the country of your document origin. You’ll need ID and the required fee.
ProTip: In some cases you may not need to have your document notarized first, your document can simply go directly to have the Apostille stamp added. Check your particular visa requirements before paying for notarization.
- Legalization is a level above notarization (think of it as the difference between domestic and international authentication) carried out by a government body. We send our TEFL certificates to the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) who will apply the Apostille stamp.
- Go to the relevant Embassy with your authenticated documents and have your documents attested. This is the final step for certain visas to enable processing. Legalization services are available from a number of companies, they will also perform the Embassy attestation. Premier TEFL recommends The Hague Apostille company for the best service and lowest fees.
IMPORTANT: The above steps take time. Notarization is a quick and speedy process, but appointment times and availability can hinder the speed of legalization. Give yourself enough time to start the legalization process; at least four weeks. Read more about legalizing documents to teach abroad.
Have a TEFL certificate you want to legalise? Call our team to start the process today:
Speak with an expert.
+44 127378 2869 (UK)
+1 (415) 800-3961 (US)
+353 (0)24 81816 (ROI)